ISRAEL RESOURCE HUB
This is a live hub of resources to help our community stay informed, feel empowered to take action, and learn how to contribute. You will find statements from leading organisations, important writing and other content, opportunities to donate and volunteer, details about events, rallies and services, and much more.
This hub is updated regularly, and we welcome your submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
BRING THEM HOME: Hear their stories
Sunday 3 December, 11am | North Shore Location
Hear from the family members of hostages and victims of the October 7 attacks, visiting Sydney from Israel. Register Here
Kehilat Nitzan Q&A: Israel solidarity trip
Thursday 30 November, 8.00 pm | Zoom
Join us on Zoom to hear about our plan to run an inspiring Solidarity Trip from May 9 – 23, 2024. The aim of the trip is to show support for the People of Israel through a Masorti lens and will include: time in Jerusalem with Rabbi Ehud Bandel, visits to affected communities in the South, time devoted to volunteering, commemorating a very meaningful Yom Hazikaron, and Yom Ha’atzmaut on the streets of Israel’s Eternal Capital. More info here
- WEBINAR: Supporting Children In Times Of Crisis, Session 2
Monday 4 December, 7.30 pm | Zoom
Join Wolper Jewish Hospital and the NSW Jewish Board of Deputies for an exclusive Wellbeing Webinar Series dedicated to safeguarding our mental health during these challenging times.Info and registration here
Missed session 1? Catch up here
- Conversations About Israel with Rabbi Kamins
Emanuel Synagogue and streamed on emanuelplus, every Monday at 10.00 am (AEDT)
Catch previous editions here
- Shema: Listen & Be Heard (prev. Thursdays in the Circle) with Rabbi Mordecai
Emanuel Synagogue, Thursdays at 7.15 pm (AEDT)
Over the last few weeks, Rabbi Mordecai has been bringing together the community to give expression to our sadness and despair in the wake of the unfolding situation in Israel and engage in active and respectful listening.
- Bring Them Back Home Rally Sydney
Sunday 26 November, 10.00am
- Set Them Free Solidarity Vigil
Sun 12 November, 11.00 am, Sydney
- United Israel Appeal: Update From the Ground
Monday 13 November, 7.30 pm | Eastern Suburbs location
- Israel in Crisis: Briefing with Yotam Polizer, IsraAID Global CEO
Tue 14 November, 7.00 pm (AEDT) | Online
- Climate Shabbat Dinner: “L’dor v’dor” (From Generation to Generation)
Emanuel Synagogue, Friday 17 November, 7.30 pm
- Combatting Hate Speech in the Digital Age with Karel Fracapane (UNESCO)
Melbourne Holocaust Museum, Thursday 9 November at 7.00 pm
- NSW Jewish Community Gathering – United with Israel
Sydney, Wednesday 11 October 2023 at 6.00 pm (AEDT)
- Webinar with former Prime Minister of Israel, Naftali Bennett – Jewish National Fund of Australia
Webinar, Thursday 12 October at 5.00 pm (AEDT)
- NCJWA’s Australian Jewish women’s solidarity and prayer meeting
Online, Sunday 15 October 2023 at 8.00 pm (AEDT)
- Lost for Words: Talking to Our Kids About Crisis
Discuss over Zoom how to navigate these conversations with under 5-year-olds, 5-8-year-olds and teens.
16 October 2023 at 8.00 pm (AEDT)
- A gathering of song, support and solidarity for young Jewish adults
Location in Sydney TBC, 15 October 2023 at 5.00 pm (AEDT)
- Jewish Communal Appeal (JCA) Israel update for Jewish high school students
Online, Sunday 15 October 2023 at 5.00 pm (AEDT)
- Concert for Israel, presented by Friends of Wolper and Emanuel Synagogue
Sunday 29 October, 5.30 – 7.00 pm
A special performance by world-renowned pianist Simon Tedeschi and international soprano Eleanor Lyons in support of Israel and to raise funds for Magen David Adom (MDA).
- The PTSD Fallout from the War with Hamas with Professor Bar Haim
Tuesday 24 October, 6.30 pm (AEDT)
Presented by Tel Aviv
- Koolulam | Like A prayer
international musical project advocating for the return of the abducted.
- Allegra Spender MP Speaks in Parliament following a motion condemning Hamas
House of Representatives Chamber, Monday 16 October 2023
- Shabbat live stream at Emanuel Synagogue
Every Friday from 6.15 pm (AEDT) on Emanuelplus
Free access here
- Hamas and Gaza | A Liberal Israeli’s View – Yuval Noah Harari
The Rest is Politics YouTube channel with Alastair Campbell, Rory Stewart and Israeli historian Yuval Noah Harari
- Veteran Israeli defence journalist Yoav Limor interview
Presented by the Jewish National Fund of Australia
- Rishi Sunak: ‘There are not two sides – Hamas are terrorists’ (Sky News)
The Prime Minister of the United Kingdom addresses a vigil for Israeli victims at a synagogue in north London.
- President Biden on the Israel-Hamas conflict (CNBC)
The US President delivers remarks on the Hamas attacks in Israel and the current conflict in the Gaza Strip.
- Address by Isreal’s Leader of the Opposition, Yair Lapid
“You should have told the foreign media the hard truth – stop helping Hamas!”
- The House of Representatives voted in favour of a motion condemning Hamas’ attacks on Israel
House of Representatives Chamber, Monday 16 October 2023
Read the motion here
- Sermon: Shabbat Live, Friday 13 October
Rabbi Jacqueline Ninio, Emanuel Synagogue
- Talking to Your Kids About What’s Happening in Israel
Jamie Betesh Carter, Tablet Magazine
- Looking Forward newsletter
Jodi Rudoren, Forward Editor-in-Chief
- ‘What it doesn’t feel safe to say.’
Mia Freedman processes what has happened in Israel and the reaction to terrorism by some here in Australia.
- ‘How to talk to your children about Israel.’
Jessica Abelsohn, Australian Jewish News
- NSW Jewish Board of Deputies newsletter
President David Ossip
- How Gaza Became Israel’s Unsolvable Problem
Michael Oren, Mosaic Magazine
- The Fallacy of Equality of Condemnation
Geoffrey Corn, Smercornish.com
- Why is Israel being blamed for the Hamas massacre?
Yossi Klein Halevi, The Times of Israel
- The Times of Israel’s Daily Briefing podcast
Your update on what’s important in Israel, the Middle East, and The Jewish World.
- Voices From Israel | Unorthodox podcast, Tablet Media
Hear firsthand from those who have faced unspeakable tragedy, and acted with incredible bravery since the terror attack on 7 October. You’ll hear from someone who escaped the NOVA music festival, friends donating supplies in Tel Aviv, and a report from the missing persons centre near Ben Gurion Airport, where Israelis are coming in droves to look for information about their loved ones. Features a rendition of “Avinu Malkeinu” performed by Regina Spektor, and “Eli, Eli” sung by Jenny Penkin and J.Lamotta.
- Magen David Adom
Magen David Adom, Israel’s emergency medical system, needs your help now to purchase more ambulances, ballistic vests to protect EMTs and paramedics under fire, and hemostatic bandages to control the potentially fatal bleeds of patients with shrapnel and gunshot wounds.
- United Israel Appeal
Donations go to financial support for the Victims of Terror Fund, provision of mobile bomb shelters, relocating families out of danger and supporting displaced victims.
- Operation Golda: Israel Emergency Support
Operation Golda is a grassroots volunteer organisation set up in Sydney immediately following the 7 October terror attack in Israel. Operation Golda’s mission is to respond and fulfill urgent verified requests from Magen David Adom (MDA) and other organisations for humanitarian aid and trauma supplies needed in Israel that cannot be sourced there.
- JCA Never Again Response Appeal
A solely established appeal, separate to JCA’s annual general campaign, which will enable us to fund increased resourcing needs for our frontline advocacy and security organisations. JCA’s priority is to ensure that our local Jewish community is safe, united, supported, connected, and represented while we continue to stand with Israel and her people.
- Jewish National Fund of Australia
Donations will support the replenishment of equipment for first responders and self-defence units, respite relocation for Gaza border families, mental health support and mobile shelters.
- SmartAID Israel Relief Fund
Donations will support the distribution of food, hygiene and dignity kits, socks, toys, blankets, and tablets for children (social and education support) and families in a dozen kibbutzim in the south as well as areas in the north that have absorbed thousands of evacuated families.
- Send a Virtual Hug to the people of Israel
Upload your video of support to United Israel Appeal’s community channel
- Sign the Urgent Appeal: Release Kidnapped Children and Women from Gaza Now
Join Hundreds of Women Leaders Worldwide and Save Lives
- Hats for Israeli soldiers
Knit beanies for IDF soldiers fighting in the freezing cold.
- JewishCare and Jewish House Counselling
Access a team of professional staff and counsellors to discuss the concerns of any community member at any time. Call JewishCare on 1300 133 660 from 9.00 am – 5.00 pm or Jewish House outside of these hours on 1300 544 357.
- Workplace mental health toolkit for Jewish employees
A resource to support the mental health of Israeli and Jewish staff during the crisis in Israel that you can send to your manager or HR representative.
Jewish Care Rainbow Youth Group
Starts Tuesday 13 February, 4.30 – 6.00 pm | 3 Saber St, Woollahra
The Rainbow Youth Group is designed and facilitated by a Jewish, LGBTQIA+ and gender diverse community leader and a qualified Social Worker. Each week will be made up of informal discussions around current topics of interest, creative activities and connecting with others; Whether you’re looking for community, intersted in improving your advocacy skills or just want to listen and observe, we are here for it!
- Parents Of Rainbow Youth
Starts Tuesday 27 February | 3 Saber St, Woollahra
In a safe, supportive environment, this 6-week group will provide an opportunity for parents to: connect and share common experiences, explore common challenges, and eflect on Jewish values for inclusivity & more!
Australians in need of emergency consular assistance should contact the Australian Government 24-hour Consular Emergency Centre on 1300 555 135 (in Australia) or +61 2 6261 3305 (overseas).